Oh boy! I have a yummy recipe for you. Do you enjoy those flautas or taquitos from the frozen food section at the store? I love them. Especially the Jose Ole brand
Well I’ve been trying to incorporate a little bit of healthier cooking into our weekly meals. I found this recipe that called for spinach and chicken. Can’t go wrong with spinach, right?
Jason and I re-created a recipe for Baked Chicken & Spinach Flautas. These puppies turned out to be delicious and semi-healthy.
This recipe will be great for a make ahead snack or meal. We chowed down on our flautas soon after they came out of the oven, but then we put the rest of them in the freezer. They freeze well and I just heated one up this morning for breakfast. It was still full of flavor and delicious.
Just add a side of salsa or you can make my popular Spanish Rice to go on the side.
*Oven temps vary, so you may need to adjust the times a little bit.
- • 1 pound boneless, skinless Chicken Thighs (about 4)
- • 16 ounces Chicken Broth
- • 2 cups Water
- • 1 teaspoon Paprika
- • 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- • 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- • 1 teaspoon ground Cumin
- • 1 teaspoon Chili Powder
- • 1 Jalapeno Pepper, minced
- • 3 cups Baby Spinach, chopped
- • 1 package of fajita size (the regular size) four tortillas
- • 6 ounces shredded cheese (any flavor)
- • 1 oil or cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 400 Degrees.
- Put the chicken thighs in a deep sided saute pan or pot and cover with the broth and water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the liquid and shred it.
- Mix together the chicken and seasonings.
- Pour out all but ¼ cup of the cooking liquid.
- Add the jalapeno and spinach and cook over low heat until for 2-3 minutes, or until the spinach is wilted.
- Spoon some chicken onto to the tortilla. Repeat with the spinach and cheese. Roll the tortilla up, starting with the straight edge. Place seam-side down on an oiled baking sheet. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Brush the flautas with olive oil or spray with cooking spray. Bake for 8-10 minutes, then turn them over and bake for about 5 minutes minutes, or until crispy. Then serve